Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Twitter Redeemed

Last year some of my classmates gave a presentation on how to use Twitter in the classroom. It sounded like a terrible idea to me. Even after their glowing half-hour presentation. And after months of hearing my friends' phones beep, buzz or ring every two minutes with a new tweet, I swore I'd never get a Twitter. That's where I drew the line. I also swore I'd never start blogging. We can see how well that went. So yes, first I caved and started blogging. Three weeks in, I mentioned it to my best friend who was surprised I hadn't told her that I blog. "It's pathetically mediocre, Sabra." I assured her, just so she'd know she hadn't missed out on anything.

"Leah, nearly all blogs are pathetically mediocre."

Oh. Well that made me feel a little better. It wasn't long then before I caved again and got a Twitter. I still only tweet about once a week. I'm convinced that no one really cares to be updated on my life more often than that. But I still stuck to my guns about Twitter and education. Oil and water. Until today. In an interesting tie back to my last post, it was a Prezi that may have just changed my mind. Here it is.

Brilliant.

And in the meantime, before I have students of my own, I'd like to tweet with other teachers and my fellow students about education. Does anyone know if I can set up a Twitter that I could use solely for that purpose? A professional Twitter? Sadly, I know that most of my friends will quit following me if I start tweeting about Bloom's Taxonomy and Vygotsky. And if it is possible to set up a separate professional Twitter account, is there anyone out there who would like to do the same so we can bounce ideas off one another with tweets? Let me know!

No comments: